Friday, April 21, 2006

you haven't been hungry since supreme clientele


Ghostface Killah [ft. Ne-Yo] - Back Like That [from Fishscale, 2006]

I posted a tune off this brand new LP a while back, but let me reiterate: Ghostface hasn't sounded this great in years. Nobody raps harder or stronger than Tony Starks, and the beats provided by a multitude of New York's finest are superb, soulful pieces that sound great under his voice. Both stylistically and lyrically, Ghost is untouched by any MC who's come out with a record this year. He's eminently creative, too: though this album is as completely about the yay game as Jeezy's Let's Get It, Ghost manages to go all the way through without once saying "trap" or "trappin'" (I'm looking at you, Cam'ron). This song, specifically, is my favorite, and sort of the pinnacle of the sound that Ghostface is forging on this record. I'm going to leave words about the beat til the next post, but I will tell you that Ne-Yo is the new R. Kelly, minus of course the pissin' on chicks. Dig it.

No comments: