Tuesday, May 29, 2007

retta young [old music]


[Short post this week. Business is a little hairy here in Los Angeleez.]

A homie commented to me that a previous post was "venom-filled." I take umbrage at that; I am an admittedly arrogant music snob, but I vowed to Michael Plus that this blog would ascribe to Believer ethics: enthusiasm for all things I write about, ignoring the negativity--the Polyphonic Spree of criticism, a more academic version of "if you can't say anything nice..."
Kids, let me clarify and recapitulate. I merely wanted to point to the roots of what is currently hip (my favorite thing to do). If you love T.I., you should also be listening to mid-90s UGK, for instance. Related to that post, then, let me give you a lovely slice of the purest disco.
I know absolutely next-to-nothing about this Retta Young lady. She was married to Al Goodman from the Moments, recorded for the All-Platinum label (Sylvia Robinson's pre-Sugar Hill foray), and she scored a UK chart hit with "Sending Out An SOS" (not the ABBA song) in 1975. I do, however, know that this song is disco brilliance. Deliciously breathy vocals, sweeping washes of strings, chromatically rising vamps, and that fat, luscious backbeat. From the bottom of my heart, enjoy.

No comments: