Sunday, April 23, 2006

sebastian grows some balls


Belle & Sebastian - We Are The Sleepyheads [from The Life Pursuit, 2006]

Pardon my tardiness in posting on new CDs I buy; it takes me a long time to thoroughly listen to them. Anyway, this comes from the new B&S album, universally hailed as their best since If You're Feeling Sinister. I think it's a step up, too. Though I love the latter album a bit more, that feeling is a bit more situational (related to what was going on with my life while I was really into it), while my admiration for this album is more critically informed. The Life Pursuit is no less twee than anything B&S has done previously, but their musical palette has expanded greatly, in the same progression that started with the Books EP. The fireside lo-fi-ness of their early work is replaced with super-shiny production, recalling Phil Spector and the height of the Motown sound. This tune exemplifies their new density and sheen: twee lyrics and vocals, in addition to some killer guitar work and speedy doowop harmonies.

No comments: