Thursday, May 24, 2007

lcd soundsystem [new music]

Success (or even validity) in any artistic career requires progression. Do I even have to say that? This is why I'm no longer a Weezer fanatic.
Thank God James Murphy is as smart as he is, then. His earlier music, both as LCD Soundsystem and his production/remix work under the DFA umbrella oozed tragic hipness. I'm thinking the various versions of "Yeah," the meta-electro of "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House," and climactically, the brilliant "Losing My Edge," almost a thesis for the early 00s James Murphy sound and attitude. Production-wise, his remixes and knob-twiddling for the Rapture, etc., was all about the dancepunk aesthetic: saxophones, 808s, bleeps and skronks, and more cowbell than an Amarillo ranch.
Wise up, kids. You can only drink at the Standard rooftop 6 nights a week for so long. Sound Of Silver is a hipster-hangover-comedown, seriously vibrant (and sometimes vibrantly serious). LCD Soundsystem has graduated from the self-conscious hipness we're still seeing, 5 years on. Don't get me wrong: club-bangers abound nonetheless, notably "Watch The Tapes." And the king of irony hasn't closed the book on the wink-and-nudge, either; he just shows more vulnerability with his smirking asides in "North American Scum" and especially the excellent album-closer "New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down." The personal revelations in that track (a thesis for this album, much like "Losing My Edge" was to an earlier era) are also heard in the melancholy of "Someone Great." Most of all, he seems to be thinking harder. Look no further, friends, than "Get Innocuous," which brings to the music the same excitement that the aforementioned "Daft Punk" only talked about.
Yes, kids, I know this album came out like months ago. That's why I'm giving you this b-side here. In 12 minutes, we move from downtempo-ish house to a jazztastic drum solo to a Kraftwerkian vamp, putting into sound the namedrop appeal of "Losing My Edge" (can you tell that I love that track?).

LCD Soundsystem - Freak Out / Starry Eyes [from the "All My Friends" 12", 2007]

1 comment:

hipsmantis said...

wink/nudge